SYSTEMS SUPPORT ENGINEER – POSTED 2.21.2020
The Systems Support Engineer position requires a blend of skills in end-user systems, desktop security, and enterprise systems support.
The successful candidate is an IT professional with extensive hands-on experience with Microsoft Windows operating systems (both desktop and servers), Mac and Linux environments and a keen sense of troubleshooting, and problem-solving in supporting end-user computing and server infrastructure – both on-prem as well as in the cloud. Work with Pro*Act technology services teams across the globe to serve Pro*Act customers effectively. In addition to superb technical skills, the candidate must have a strong customer service orientation and excellent communication skills.
End-User Systems & Desktop Security (70%)
• Lead the resolution of incidents related to desktop systems, serving as a source of level 3 support to desktop systems, desktop applications, and client security.
• Lead the development, maintenance, and continuous improvement of standardized processes around desktop system management and client security.
• Perform onsite analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of desktop problems; recommend and implement corrective solutions, including off-site repair for remote users as needed.
• Recommend technologies or processes with the potential to enhance the end-user systems and desktop environment.
• Lead the definition, creation, testing, and maintenance of desktop and application images within Pro*Act and work closely with the Pro*Act application engineering team, Internal and external customers to ensure interoperability among Pro*Act applications.
• Lead desktop security, document and implement security standards and industry best practices for end-user device security, identify client security risks and policy violations and take steps to mitigate, and work with information security and application engineering team to resolve incidents related to endpoint security products across the environment.
• Liaise between Technology Services and customer community-at-large, ensuring service level expectations are met consistently. • Provide troubleshooting and incident resolution support, serving as a lead resource for Pro*Act IT service desk function.
• Perform root cause analysis and ensure continuous updating of asset and configuration management systems.
Enterprise Systems Support (30%)
• Manages user access and controls provisioning, across Pro*Act enterprise systems and applications.
• Serve as a backup technician to perform server and data center level operations and delegated administrative tasks.
• Perform routine maintenance functions on the enterprise infrastructure.
• Maintain patching and version levels on various infrastructure systems ensuring optimum performance levels and security.
• Serve as an on-call resource for end-user systems and Pro*Act enterprise applications
• Maintains the telephony systems, Internet connectivity, and others.
• Create, and maintain IT support, policy and process documentation.
• Troubleshoot, maintain, upgrade, and provide solutions to complex hardware / software problems related to Pro*Act on-premise and Cloud Infrastructure.
• Work closely with network, security, systems administration, and applications engineering staff to restore service and/or identify and correct complex and recurring problems.
• Provide support to systems patching process to ensure that designated patches are tracked, and push patches through the environment in a timely manner.
• Provide backup support to senior technicians and offshore/onsite systems and network operations staff.
• Serve as a testing resource for enterprise business applications.
• Serve as a resource for internal systems, security audits and compliance.
• Serve as on-call support in the event of after-hours emergencies.
Experience and Educational background:
• B.S. Computer Science/Information Technology or related field, or A.A. degree with equivalent experience.
• Certification in IT (e.g. CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco certs) preferred, but not required.
• ITIL v3 experience – Incident, Problem, Change and Configuration management preferred, but not required.
• 6 to 8 years of strong, related work experience in supporting Desktop, End-user systems, Enterprise applications, and Systems support as Level 3 technician or above.
• 6 to 8 years of experience hands-on experience with Active Directory, Intel and Apple Hardware, Microsoft Operating Systems, Network connectivity and Android and iOS Operating Systems.
• Strong experience working with Anti-virus, malware, ransomware, email security, and other cyber security tools
• Strong experience in troubleshooting client-server, web-based/cloud applications, and providing quick turnaround to solving end-user computing issues.
Prior experience in supporting one or more of: server operating systems, Exchange server, OWA, DNS, DHCP, O365, One-drive would be a big plus.
• Experience working with server monitoring, performance tracking systems and diagnose issues and ability to difference between server to network level issues
• Foundational experience with virtualization, Cloud environments, network switching and related troubleshooting.
• Foundation experience with Linux, Unix systems preferred, but not required.
• Intimate knowledge in troubleshooting network printing, hardware, and cabling issues.
• Experience working with VoIP PBX/phone systems and related troubleshooting skills
• Strong vendor management, I.T. procurement and negotiation skills.
• Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Ability to swiftly change direction, pace, and course to adjust to business and customer expectations
Skills: • Strong communication and customer service skills. • Ability to work without supervision. • Creative thinker. • Ability to problem-solve and make recommendations. • Project management skills. • Good time management skills.